Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dear Benevolent Stranger,

I saw you on the train this afternoon. It was about 2:40pm and I had just managed to get onto said train. The doors had been closing and you put your hand out to hold the door open for me. I thanked you and you sat back down (somehow you managed to get the only free seat left in the car). I stood, my bag on the ground at my feet. There were quite a bit of people on the train already, despite the fact that the normal workday hadn't ended yet. You were reading this month's issue of HUB: Canada. I only know it was this month's issue because I have an identical issue on my kitchen table, courtesy of my father. You had a black Creative Zen Vision: M and were intently listening to your music. I was surprised because I rarely see people with a DAP (Digital Audio Player) like mine (however, mine is white and therefore is often mistaken for a 'really weird looking' iPod).

You didn't appear to be paying attention to anyone in particular on the train, considering you were so busy reading your magazine and listening to music. You had scuffed black boots on, a worn pair of blue jeans and a black jacket over what looked to be a ratty tee-shirt that had probably seen better days.

About three stops later, the car was crowded and people were pushing and shoving (I managed to get a seat so I wasn't standing there until my stop). And this woman walks onto the train car and you were the only one who seemed to notice her. You jump up and quickly offer her your seat. She makes a motion as if you shouldn't fuse over her, she was going to be getting off the train in two stops anyways. You insist, telling her that someone as pretty as she is shouldn't have to stand. With her pale skin and white hair, she blushes and I could see the blush extending to the top of her head where it showed through her thin white hair. You gesture again to the seat and she says her thanks and sits down.

So you were pretty much everyone's rescuer today. You held the door open for me, you offered your seat to a woman when no one else did. If karma exists, I see an excellent next life for you.

I hope you had a good rest-of-the-day.

No comments: