Friday, September 12, 2008

Dear Graffiti Artist,

I appreciate art as much as the next person. I like Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers and The Starry Night. I appreciate Monet and Dali and Picasso. I can also appreciate art done by people who aren't dead yet. I mean, sure, I'm not a fan of the Mona Lisa - but I do like art.

However, sitting down on the bus and looking up at the back of the seat that's in front of me and seeing a clean, plastic side is rather nice. Sitting down on the bus and looking up at the back of the seat that's in front of me and seeing phone numbers and "Call Anne for a good time at..." messages are rather annoying. Sitting down on the bus and looking up at the back of the seat that's in front of me and seeing random doodles of flowers, I can live with that. I doodle flowers and hearts and stars (yes, such typical girly things to doodle in the page margins) sometimes if I'm really bored.

But today, I sat down in an empty seat and looked up at the back of the seat that was in front of me and I saw a rather detailed image, mostly likely drawn with a Sharpie. I mean, I would say that you have some pretty good talent. Things were proportional, the angles were nice. You drew a scene. A girl on a couch, a guy by her side. Or rather, a guy on her and the girl struggling. There were cat ears on her, a tail slinking down the side, claws out. But you, and I'm assuming you're either a guy, drew the women with next to no clothing on.

Great. I kind of expected that. But what I didn't count on was the fact, that if I paid a little bit more attention to the image that I meant to, I could see that all the details you drew for the guy. The shadow of what was underneath his clothing, the way the hair was all brushed off to one side.

You have talent, I will grant you that. But you should be, perhaps, a little more selective in your canvas. But I guess if you're just looking to shock people and get your art out there, it's not a bad way to go.

Too bad they'll occasionally clean the buses and will take cleaners/bleach to it.

Sincerely,
Can't draw to save her life

No comments: