Saturday, December 1, 2007

Dear Begging Man,

It was snowing quite a bit today, at least it was for the area that I live in. You were walking around the outside of the train station as my friend and myself were making our way towards the entrance. You walked by and were shouting "Could you please give me a fucking penny?"

Now, I am not exactly versed in the proper etiquette of begging money off of people (read: pan handling) but I'm pretty sure that you would be much more successful with asking people for money if you were not shouting at them and if you were also more polite and not swearing at the same time.

For example, here are some things that you could say that would make your pan handling days more successful:

1. Could you please spare me some change?
2. If you could give me a penny, that would be much obliged.
3. It would mean the world to me if you were to spare me some change.

It doesn't make that much of an effort to come up with some more positive, more polite sounding ways of asking people for money. Plus, you also do not come off as incredibly rude and loud and frightening.

I hope you found somewhere warm for the night though, it's pretty cold outside.

No comments: