Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dear Smelly, Space Invader ,

This morning I was on my way from school to the crafts store (I ran out of materials, yet again). I took an unfamiliar bus that, thankfully, the bus driver could tell me exactly which stop I wanted to get off on and in which direction to walk in order to get to my destination - the driver even took the time to tell me how to get to the nearest train station, how nice! But I sat down at the beginning of the bus route and you got on maybe about fifteen minutes later. Perhaps it's because you didn't feel like walking all the way to the back of the bus, or perhaps it's because there was an empty seat next to me and I'm a fairly small person so you thought you could just take up the space, and then some.

Either way, you ended up sitting next to me. You grunted hello at me before you pulled out today's paper to read. And it wasn't even one of those small freebie papers that you get at train stations (I get those for the Soduku puzzles and local news), no, it had to be one of those national papers that has sections A to E and takes up about a metre of space.

Which placed your hand neatly right in front of my face.

And do I even need to comment on your personal hygiene? Because, forgive me, it seems like it would be common sense to bathe either once in a while or at the very least go for a flea dip before going onto public transit and taking up more space that one ought to be allowed.

When I asked you to move your hand/arm from the general area in front of my face, you just rolled your eyes and muttered something about "little girls not knowing their place" and how "no one respects their elders anymore".

Well, sir, perhaps if you appeared to be elderly, I would have been a bit nicer. But really, you looked at most to be early 40s. Plus you were rude and invading my personal space.

So no, mister, I don't think I will be very 'respectful' to you.

Sincerely,
Little girl, who does know her place

No comments: